Independence Day is just around the corner, and there’s no time like the present to plan some fun-filled adventures. Perhaps one, some, or all of the following tips will be helpful as you plan your festivities.
1. To go out or stay in? Think through whether you’d prefer to celebrate with a few hundred thousand strangers, close friends, family members, on your own, or some combination thereof.
2. Identify the Independence Day weekend activities that are of interest to you and yours. Get ideas on your town’s web site and in your local newspaper. You may find that fireworks displays, parades, picnics, fairs, barbecues, concerts, athletic events, and a variety of commemoration activities abound. Bonus points if you think outside the box.
3. Mix things up a bit. When planning outdoor activities, consider interspersing other options throughout the day so you’re not in the sun for 10 hours straight.
4. No need to overdue it. There’s no reason to run yourself ragged this holiday weekend. Prioritize the events that you’d love to do, and schedule plenty of time for relaxation, stillness, and quiet. You’ll be glad you did.
5. Take some time to consider why we celebrate Independence Day. It can mean different things to different folks. The United States government observes it as a federal holiday commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence in 1776. Amid the picnics, fireworks, and baseball games, let’s not forget what we’re celebrating.
A little advance planning goes a long way…enjoy the process, and here’s to a great Independence Day weekend!
* Photo by Joe Stone