Kitchen organization is an ever-evolving adventure. One thing I love about it is just how fluid it is, and how easily we can change things around in our kitchens to meet the needs of the moment. While helping a friend unpack after his move a few years ago, I marveled at how seemingly effortlessly he fit all of his kitchen items into his new space. A glance in his cabinets taught me plenty, and helped the hubster and me to organize our kitchen when we moved a few months later. Recently while cooking in our kitchen I realized what a difference these space-saving ideas have made in our home, and so I share just a few of them today in the hopes that they’ll be helpful in a kitchen near you:
- Nest similarly sized bowls, pans, and pots. This may seem obvious, but it doesn’t always happen and it really makes a difference.
- If you have a corner cabinet, consider installing a “lazy Susan” in it to ensure that items stowed in that space are easily accessible
- Place spices, juice glasses, and small bowls in shorter cabinets
- Consider placing cooling racks and cookie sheets in a vertical position along the side of a tall cabinet, or keep them flat and store them in the drawer under your oven
- Consider hanging your pots and pans on hooks on the wall, or from a pot holder installed on your ceiling
- Store kitchen knives in a wood block holder or on a magnetized wall strip
* Photo by ilker