For those history fans among us, today is Flag Day in the United States of America. This day commemorates the adoption of the U.S. flag in 1777, by resolution of the Second Continental Congress. Following are five simple ideas for observing Flag Day in your own special way:
1. Fly an American flag outside your house, condo, or apartment. Or line your front walk, the sidewalk outside your house, or your garden with a few miniature flags.
2. Take part in observation activities happening in your neck of the woods. Some towns take part with parades, picnics, and the like. Others do not. Check your town’s website for details.
3. Wear red, white, and blue. If anyone wonders aloud about why you’re wearing a patriotic ensemble on a day other than Independence Day, be prepared to tell them why.
4. Serve a Flag Day dessert that’s super simple and appropriately color-themed. Treat your dining companions to fresh blueberries and strawberries, topped with a dollop of whipped cream. Bonus points if the whipped cream is homemade!
5. Visit the National Flag Day Foundation’s website for information about Flag Day, observance activities, and more.
* Photo by George Bosela