Summer officially starts next week, but there’s no reason why we can’t sneak off to the beach a little early. Looking to plan a sun-filled day in the sand? Perhaps one, some, or all of the following ideas will knock your flip flops off and inspire the beach enthusiast within:
1. Think logistically. As always, it’s okay to be thrilled about this aspect of your beach day planning process. Be sure you bring along the food, beverages, paper products, trash and recycling bags, books and magazines, towels, sunscreen, and other gear that you and your beach crowd so love.
2. Think realistically. Are you spending the entire day at the beach? If so, plan ahead for temperature changes, afternoon winds, and food and beverage needs. Pack more water than you think your group will want. You’ll be glad you did.
3. Think location. Pick a beach that’s scenic and convenient. This summer, consider hopping online to find out about at least one beach you’ve never visited. Then, go and visit!
4. Think green. Use recyclable or reusable plates and cups when picnicking at the beach this summer. As previously recommended, bring bags for your trash and recycling items and be sure to pick up after your group. While you’re at it, make a point of leaving your spot on the beach cleaner than when you found it.
5. Think action. Don’t forget the frisbee, volleyball and net, portable radio, sand-focused gear such as pails and shovels, and wakeboards, surfboards, and related items…
…because it’s time to go surfin’!
* Photo by Stella Levi