Thanksgiving is one week from tomorrow, and now is the perfect time to plan your festive decorations. Decorating your house for the holidays can be as simple or elaborate as you wish, and it’s something you should consider doing regardless of whether relatives and house guests are descending on your abode next week. This concept is right up there with buying flowers for yourself every once in awhile “just because.”
As you consider how you might decorate for Thanksgiving, following are three simple decoration ideas for you to try:
- Acorns, gourds, mini pumpkins, and vibrant fall leaves and fruits (apples, pomegranates, oranges) make great table and mantle decorations
- Candles always add a touch of ambiance and flair wherever they’re placed
- A vase filled with orange, white, and yellow flowers is fabulous
If you want to get a little more elaborate, try your hand at the following:
- Create your own Thanksgiving wreath for your living room or front door. You may wish to use a grapevine wreath, pine cones, “Indian corn,” cloth flowers, ribbon, acorns, and anything else you fancy. Hint: The glue gun will be your best friend for this project.
- If you’re having guests over for Thanksgiving, learn different napkin-folding techniques with beautiful cloth napkins. Artful folded napkins are sure to offer the perfect festive touch for your table.
- If you have kids in the house or in your life, consider inviting them over to make Thanksgiving place mats. Between leaf rubbings, hand turkeys, and gratitude lists penned in a child’s handwriting, their artistic touches will add a sense of fun to your holiday decor.
Regardless of which decoration route you choose to take, set yourself up for success from the start. Before you head to the craft store or florist, make a list of all of the things you will need. The extra few moments it takes to jot everything down will save you time while shopping, and support a sense of grace, order, and calm as you shop alongside other Thanksgiving decorating enthusiasts. By planning ahead, you won’t feel overwhelmed by all of the wreath decoration options at the store and you won’t get side-tracked by those pink almond roca containers at the front of the store. A list will help you obtain exactly what you need and curb unnecessary purchases.
Here’s to a beautiful Thanksgiving season at your house!
* Image by Nat Arnett